[MUD-Dev] EULA Structure

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Feb 14 15:58:48 CET 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> That's not a valid analogy. He brought in his computer desk, etc
> from elsewhere. He doesn't get to take the walls of his apartment
> with him. In the case of a MUD, everything a player feels he or
> she owns comes from landlord.

And this is where some mud need to change.  In muds such as MOOs,
MUX, and Cold there is no reason to have exclusive server ownership.

I had another posting about my mud skipper (a type of cyberspace
ship) project, but I think it got mangled in the mail system.  But
the point of the mud skipper project was to have a portable
character model in MOO.-- a "Dr Who" model.  So I would arrive at
some MOO in my skipper, with my dog scruffy and a few things of my
own. I would do some stuff and leave. The mechanics included enter
shell maddog, update maddog, create ship, create scruffy, create
objects, then update perma objects and delete temporary objects
after a departure. The next enhancement would have included moving
multiple people through cyberspace to some destination.

The mud skipper project assumed that everything related to the
skipper, maddog, scruffy, and the personal items belonged outside
any MOO system.  Ok, so it was clumsy, but elements of portablity
and ownership was fundamentally different that the way most -- maybe
all -- muds worked then and still work now.

I have also hinted at the possiblity that not all major mobs and
NPCs reside exclusively on one server.  The agent-type mobiles would
belong to the client-side person, not the server-side admins.

Eventually the whole "big server farm" model will breakdown anyway
and all that will be left are hundreds, many thousands of little
client-server clumps.  Then maybe the idea of portable characters
and equipment will make more sense.

frank