[MUD-Dev] BlackSnow sues Mythic for online property rights

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Feb 14 18:41:09 CET 2002

From: Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag at ifi.uio.no>

> There are general research (and standardization) efforts directed
> towards making such things possible. I.e. avatar attributes,
> personal profiles, meta data etc... These efforts can easily be
> extend to other areas, such as RPG mechanics. Not that I see the
> point, except it might make it easier to get people to switch over
> to your game. (just like insurance companies let you keep the
> bonus you have saved up with another company)

It would be more like transferring from one college to another.  No
matter how common-sense the equivalency was, it would be discounted.

Besides that, unless we lock the entire market into a single
conceptual framework, the equivalencies wouldn't neccessarily be
there.  DAoC and EQ have similarities, but not equivalencies.  Our
Wizard is not quite like their Wizard, our Friar is very different
from their Monk, our Theurgist not like their Magician, even though
all of these classes started from the same archetypes.  And that's
just comparing EQ classes to Albion classes (our "Traditional
Fantasy" realm).  What is the comparison between the EQ Magician and
*any* Midgard or Hibernian class?

That's two games more similar to each other than any others on the
market, how does a UO Mace Dexer relate to an AC Og Mage?

Besides, doesn't some joker have a patent on such mappings?

--Dave