[MUD-Dev] Mob (NPC) behavior

Kevin Reid kpreid at attglobal.net
Sat Feb 16 09:13:55 CET 2002

J C Lawrence:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:28:52 -0600
> William Murdick <osiris at arkansas.net> wrote:

>> I was hoping to get people's opinions on an idea that myself and
>> a friend hit on for putting into our mud. We're designing it from
>> the ground up and the main thing we're going for is realism and
>> flavor.

> Ouch.  Typically what you actually want is a level of "reasonable"
> internal logical consistency, not realism.  Medieval life was
> brutal, short, and usually painful.  Small example: average life
> expectancy was not much over 20 years with death usually being

<snip>

I see two extremes here. One could describe intermediate "realism"
as "follows the rules of the known universe" (except for deliberate
modifications like magic), but not necessarily a particular
historical time period.

Organizing the scale,

  . average stockmud
  . internal logical consistency
  . like our universe
  . like a particular time period in our universe

--
Kevin Reid