[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Sun Feb 17 01:19:43 CET 2002

[Amanda Walker]

> For example, whenever the player logs in, it's night (that is, the
> "on-camera" world is just night 24x7).  Stuff may have happened
> while the player wasn't around.  The major challenge there is
> avoiding exploits based on never logging out ;-).  This gives
> players the experience of having stuff happen while they weren't
> able to act that they then have to deal with (part of the Complete
> Vampire Experience) without taking this out of the time they are
> playing.

Actually, this is a very good idea - what occurs to me is having the
game just do it at regular intervals, rather than between
login-logout. That blocks your exploits :)

Every 6 RL hours:

    -- say to everyone, "The sun is coming up soon!" Watch
    scrambling ensue.

    -- fry everyone who was out in the sun if they are fryable.

    -- push forward the state of the world by 12 hours (non-vamps
    are assumed to be working lousy day jobs, regenerating blood,
    writing lousy text games etc.)

    -- say "The sun has set, you wake up" etc. etc.  (about a minute
    has elapsed while the game crunched #s.)

If someone logs in and left their vamp out in the sun, "Your
character died while you were away." As in the old BBS door
games. Has a sort of strange turn-based feel to it. Or you could
just pretend they found shelter if you were charitable, but it would
be better to enforce the rule and also make getting shelter fast and
easy in most cases.