[MUD-Dev] Re: Girl's Perspective (was: Boys and Girls)

Paul Schwanz paul.schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Feb 18 11:01:03 CET 2002

From: Katy Morris <cathnm at tr.comm.mot.com>

> To make a game that females would enjoy, one would have to
> incorporate some sort of physical interaction with people or
> things - or a game that multiple people would play and interact
> with each other.  Over-the-internet games, while including
> multiple people, would not suffice as the female is still sitting
> by herself at her computer.  The only thing I can think of right
> now that might come close is virtual reality.

Hrm...I too would like to stay away from stereotypes, but don't
females tend to enjoy talking on the phone?  How does this match up
with the need forphysical interaction?  Do you think that a real
voice gives enough of a physical presence to communicate what
females are looking for in their interaction?

In your opinion, and for the moment setting aside possible
technology barriers, what effect do you think quality voice-over-IP
would have on how females enjoyed internet games?  With this feature
in place, is sitting by herself at her computer really much
different than sitting by herself at her phone?

--Phinehas