[MUD-Dev] MajorMUD and other BBS MUDs (was: Online Worlds Timeline Update)

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 22 09:12:54 CET 2002

Raph Koster wrote:

> Still looking for info on these items:
>  ???? - MajorMUD "... a mud that originated on BBSs (MajorBBS?)

It's a commercial product (http://www.majormud.com/) for
MajorBBS/Worldgroup systems that came out in the early 90's. I used
to help run a MajorBBS back in '93-94 and we considered MajorMUD,
but it was too pricey and fairly bug-infested (as most BBS door
programs were).  Don't know if it's gotten any better, but they
still seem to be cranking out expansions for it. IIRC play was very
similar to LPMuds.

Our users were more fond of a much simpler game called Mutants,
which pretty much broke the kill things get stuff gestalt down to
its core elements - you moved from compass location to compass
location, killed simple mobs and racked up points on a
scoreboard. There was a playerkilling component involved and it
caused no end of grief and eventual abuse of administrative powers -
all of which pretty much developed in a vacuum, as none of the
people involved had ever played a MUD, or any other online game for
that matter.

Some interesting logs from that time (1994):

  http://www.rickwyatt.com/tce/gomcap.txt
  http://www.rickwyatt.com/tce/2.txt
  http://www.rickwyatt.com/tce/maccap.txt
  http://www.rickwyatt.com/tce/Mutant.txt
  http://www.rickwyatt.com/tce/p1.txt

(I'm "Wired Child", and blissfully not a part of most of this.) Some
things never change.

--
Scott Jennings
Code Monkey, Mythic Entertainment