[MUD-Dev] New Beginings

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Mon Jun 3 15:29:55 CEST 2002

From: <ceo at grexengine.com>

>   - less power than C++ provides = since you don't mention
>   performance as a number one priority [NB Java/Python/etc are
>   often within 5% of the performance of C++ these days - sometimes
>   faster [normally better at memory management]]

I don't buy that Java or Python are "often within 5% of the
performance of C++", unless you hand-pick the worst C++ coders you
can find.  I also reject the claim that they are "better at memory
management".  GC != "better memory management".  In fact, RAII is
very nearly optimal usage of memory in most cases, is easy to make
exception-safe, and doesn't stall your application while the GC
thread kicks in.  And if you really feel you need the crutch of GC,
you can always use a GC lib in C++.  However, you can never use
manual allocation in Java or most other GC langs, even if you know
there are places where it would significantly improve performance
(and something like a MUD is an app where you are quite likely to be
able to identify such cases).

Dave