[MUD-Dev] [DGN] Creating a MUD

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Tue Jun 4 18:45:19 CEST 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Fred Clift wrote:

> Hm - I personally would flee in terror from most so-called
> software-engineering classes.  Until software-engineering can make
> mediocre programmers produce safe/good/stable software, it will
> stay software apprenticeship.  The point of most engineering
> schoosl is

It can and does already.  If you properly follow software
engineering practices you end up with significantly more reliable
code, this is mostly for large projects though.  Motorola, IBM and
many other big companies know this and do this.  Motorola (for
example) has spent a lot of time and effort into putting into place
development places which are specifically designed to do reliable
and efficent code.  The use very rigourous software engineering
practices.  They have a couple of places that are rated at SEI level
4 (if anyone else knows that means :).

For small single person projects it is not worth it (I think anyway,
there is always some benifit in writing down and fleshing out your
ideas).  However for large projects software engineering ends up
saving you time and money in post production defect fixing.

The stats on post production defects from motorola's software
engineering plants are significantly better than from other places.

Good luck!
David.