[MUD-Dev] R&D

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Tue Jun 4 22:20:40 CEST 2002

At 04:55 PM 04/06/02 +0000, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Brian Bilek wrote:

>> Why aren't more of the business executives in the industry more
>> knowledgeable, passionate, or otherwise have a better
>> understanding of games and gaming in general?  Is it that hard to
>> find someone with a business background who likes games?

> Well, why aren't hard-core gamers in the industry more
> knowledgeable, passionate, or otherwise have a better
> ounderstanding of the business of games, and business in general?
> (Actually, maybe they do, I really don't know. Just making a
> point.) Games are a product/service developed through certain
> processes, and I don't really see why directing the business
> behind them necessarily requires a passion for games. A passion
> for the business of games, definitely.

Good points.  How many gamers lead businesses with little or even no
training?  How many ever make time to go get formal business
training?  And why is it apparently correct to assume that a gamer
will have a better grasp of business than a businessman will of
games?

Cheers.

Richard Aihoshi  - "Jonric"
Editor in Chief, IGN Vault Network