[MUD-Dev] LEDO revisited (part 4)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Wed Jun 5 16:39:38 CEST 2002

(actually I am posting this because I am no longer #3 on the seach
engine for LEDO)

LEDO - limited edition digital objects.  I was fairly excited when I
first read about this serveral years ago and I thought for sure that
by now it would be common.  But it never happened.

This time I found this old article (June 1997)

  http://www.wired.com/news/topstories/0,1287,4564,00.html

    "If harnessing the insatiable lust of gamers for collectible
    goodies worked to build a kind of mini-economy within the world
    of collectible fantasy card games, then it might just work for
    Internet gaming. At least, that's the reasoning behind
    SegaSoft's plans to create a series of online strategy games
    that will allow players to buy, sell, and trade virtual objects
    over the Internet. "

This whole thing was suppose to happen on Segasoft, but as we know
Segasoft went down the tubes even before the whole dot com crash.
PostLinear was suppose to be the one making the transaction system,
but I don't seem to be able to find them on the net.

I am skipping over the whole subject of market makers or lack of --
such as Ebay, EQprices, Playerauctions, Renderosity, DAZ, Turbosquid
and probably a few I don't know about.

Although there are a lot of obstacles to virtual object marketplace,
the biggest obstacle still goes back to the concept of LEDO.  This
means the notion of limited numbers and a method for controlling
transactions and detecting forgeries.

Honestly, isn't this a candidate for killer app, or am I just plain
nuts?

frank aka nutdog aka nutborg