[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Jun 5 22:57:57 CEST 2002

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Tue 04 Jun, szii at sziisoft.com wrote:
> From: "Matt Chatterley" <matt at eldoops.co.uk>

> Most MUDs have imbuded/proc-items so the players many times don't
> NEED the caster's spells for day to day.  Sure, they may increase
> the productivity of the group, or be usefull in certain
> situations, but hey...a warrior can still solo, get float/fly/lev
> gear and really not need a caster.  Yet that same level of
> "dependence" doesn't work the other way where a caster REQUIRES
> the "tank" due to low hps, finite mana supply,
> fizzles/interruptions/concentration/
> bash/trip/gesture-time/etc. Hmm....doh. </rant>

Basically this is a balance 'error' on the mud. Not that each class
needs to be exactly as powerful, but at least they must be true to
type. If a mage is supposed to be low on hitpoints she must have a
high damage ability to compensate.  If she does not then obviously
there is something wrong with the balance.

> Point: If you want to further hamper casters, make sure that the
> effect is REALLY worth it or those spells simply won't be used in
> most situations.  ROI and all that.  UO did a pretty good job, but
> warriors/archers still own PvP, and I can keep swinging LONG after
> you're out of mana/reagents.  Melee are dependent on hps, and
> possibly stamina/movement depending on the MUD.  Melee have more
> hps.  Now you have a caster with LESS hps, usually less moves, a
> finite mana pool AND reagents.  *shrug*

The obvious solution is to put some 'realistic' constraints on the
physical fighters too. Which is really very simple to do. Just make
it so that any movement of equipment eats into the movement points.
That includes just walking, and certainly to swinging a sword, mace
and shield. Better armour offers (much) better protection, but at a
cost of heavier weight, which means that the fighter can only swing
that sword and shield for so long before getting tired (and slowing
down).  It automatically also explains why mages do not wear heavy
armour and weapons. They need their strength and movement points to
maintain their static spells and to cast offensive ones and can not
afford to waste it on lumbering loads of metal around.

For all this to work you need a much finer grained speed though, so
that being encumbered by armour makes you slightly slower, and that
you have to make a trade-off between being slow, but well protected
or fast, but vulnerable to a glancing blow.  Added to that you need
different fighting style to match these choices.  It has the added
advantage that it makes your combat different from what you usually
see on muds.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,