[MUD-Dev] New Beginings

Sean Kelly sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Thu Jun 6 11:45:18 CEST 2002

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, David B. Held wrote:
> From: "Kwon Ekstrom" <justice at softhome.net>

>> Actually JVM's are VASTLY improved, if you look at performance
>> comparisons, primitive operations are withing nanoseconds of c++.
>> Java's real slowdown is actually from overridden methods.  I'm
>> sure someone will tackle that problem shortly.

> With templates? ;)

It's actually in the works.  Though I've heard secondhand from an
ex-team member that the implementation leaves a bit to be desired.
And that still leaves out the issue of operator overloading, which
IMO is a Good Thing to HAve in a language that claims to be
object-oriented.

>> You have to know what language you're writing in... the same
>> techniques don't work in all languages.

> Granted.  Which is why I'm always suspicious when someone says
> that <interpreted, GC language X> is "basically as fast as C++".
> The person who wrote the benchmarks to "prove" that probably
> doesn't know jack about C++.

Once again, know your tools.  There's also something to be said for
choosing the right language for the task at hand, rather than
blindly favoring one over the other.  That said, c++ is probably the
most versatile language out there, specifically because it supports
so many paradigms (which is also the reason so many people complain
about it).

Sean