[MUD-Dev] LEDO update

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jun 6 15:07:55 CEST 2002

>From Damion Schubert

> One game did ship with the LEDOs system working.  It was 10Six,
> and while it did not do very well (it was off from its moniker by
> 2 or 3 orders of magnitude), my talk with one of their producers
> revealed that the small population that they did have were in fact
> buying the booster packs pretty steadily.  This was apparently
> enough to support the game for some time.

> Unfortunately, it couldn't sustain itself forever.  10Six recently
> announced that it was closing its
> doors. http://www.10sixhomebase.com/

Update on this.  I talked to the aforementioned server programmer
for 10Six about LEDOs, and he corrected me, saying that no product
had ever shipped with LEDOs technology.  10Six abandoned LEDOs for
their own proprietary in-game booster pack technology.  The primary
difference between that and LEDOs was that LEDOs were exchangable
outside the gamespace, whereas 10Six booster items were not.

Other games were supposed to use LEDOs but either changed radically
in gameplay vision (Vigilance) or ended up being cancelled
altogether (Skies).

Asked why LEDOs support was yanked, the aforementioned programmer
simply said "Because they couldn't get it to work."

--d