[MUD-Dev] New Beginings

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Jun 6 22:08:05 CEST 2002

From: "David B. Held" <dheld at codelogicconsulting.com>
> From: "Paul Schwanz" <paul.schwanz at east.sun.com>

>> I think the original poster asked specifically for information on
>> multi-platform languages, though, which *is* a reason to rule out
>> C++.

> Nonsense.  Java runs on one platform: the JVM.  C++, on the other

True, that's why java is multi-platform.

A train only runs on tracks, but would you take the bus instead of
the train because you'd rather have your vehicle touch the ground
directly?

> hand, runs on virtually every platform in use.  Writing portable

C++ is on every platform, but... in different implementations

> code takes discipline, no doubt; but it's done every day by

It takes more than just discipline, it takes innate knowledge of
every system you want to run it on.

Development cost/time is a major factor in research/development in
each platform you wish to support.  Ruling out what tools you
can/cannot use greatly restricts the libraries available.  There's
alot of factors that quite often outweight the benefits.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom