[MUD-Dev] Character skill distribution and trade-offs

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 7 10:34:28 CEST 2002

From: Vincent Archer [mailto:archer at frmug.org]

> Given the way the system was designed (balance between offensive
> output and defensive output), it is easy to integrate all graded
> abilities (be they spells, skills, weapons, armor). It is very
> hard to integrate binary abilities.

I agree with all this and its essentially the same point John
Buehler made in the other reply to this thread. Binary abilities are
completely resistent to tuning as well.

>>   - If you do have it, don't just give it to one class unless you
>>   want to give them a monopoly.

> It's not a monopoly in EQ either. There are three different
> classes that can mez mobs (Enchanters, Bards and Necros). Plus a
> whole slew who "ghetto mez" by rooting mobs away from the main
> fight scene.

Whilst I don't want to argue the specifics of EQ, Necro mez is very
limited, and bard mez doesn't work reliably at a high levels since
it cannot mez mobs over a certain level. As to root parking, its
none too realiable either.  Having said that, the enchanter monopoly
isn't purely down to having mez, its also down to having the ability
to increase characters dmg output 40%, their mana regeneration by
similar amounts and to lower monsters damage outout+mana. They got
too many cookies...

Anyway, lets not have an EQ balance discussion, its well trodden
ground :)

Dan