[MUD-Dev] Character skill distribution and trade-offs

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Fri Jun 7 16:50:27 CEST 2002

From: "Ron Gabbard" <rgabbard at swbell.net>
> From: "Sean Kelly" <sean at hoth.ffwd.cx>

>> Or restrict it by adding some sort of "saving throw" mechanism,
>> so (a) all mobs have a chance to resist and (b) powerful mobs
>> (especially ones integral to quest segments) are highly resistant
>> or immune to domination

> I've heard the 'saving throw' suggestion from a number of people
> on this topic and it is a viable option.  With a skill like
> 'mesmerization', how high do you need to make the resist rate in
> order for that skill not to dominate other player skills or the
> content? 5%? 20%?  50%?  If you have to have the resist rate so
> high that the chance of it working is a coin toss, is it worth
> even implementing?

Even that will be crunched and turn it binary. Basically, anything
that completely incapacitates an opponent is a great ability to
use. Have it only work 25% of the time on the top level monsters,
and you'll just end up having 6 people casting it at the monster. If
you make it [based on savings throw, or just plain effectiveness]
only work 5% of the time, well it becomes more efficient to have 6
healers keeping the tank[s] standing, than 25 trying to incapacitate
the monster.

Things that paralyze [or mez] are balance breakers. The way we've
worked around it is thus: higher level monsters will almost always
resist, in regards to level & stat based savings throws. However,
higher level players get spells, skills, and abilities where a
side-effect is a short duration paralyze/hold/stun. So using the
direct 'paralyze' for large # of rounds works on lower level
monsters. On higher levels, you do damage as a caster, and can try
for some of the side-effects. A round or two of paralysis when it
does happen is a nice bonus, but you don't go in counting on it. You
have to plan for healing, protection, buffs, anti-buffs, etc.

    -ray
    www.travellingbard.com