[MUD-Dev] Ticks?

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Jun 10 14:08:19 CEST 2002

From: Anderson, David

> For instance, I'm wondering about ticks.  I never did like the
> fact that you can fight a mob for 30-45 seconds or so, your health
> going down, and then suddenly you regen a bit of health.  This
> didn't come slowly as your body healed itself, you suddenly just
> "felt better".

I hate ticks.  One of the things that irritated me to no end on
CarnageMUD was how half the mud would collapse and go to sleep every
90 seconds, in order to heal.

On Meridian 59, each player had their own timer, which started up
whenever the player took damage.  A player's healing rate was
determined by how well they took care of their need for hunger and
rest.  I'm certain that the way we implemented it could have been
done much more economically, but we never noticed a slowdown from
healing tics being called too often (and they could be called as
often as once per second per battler), and a Meridian server
frequently had a hundred players and many times that the number of
mobs.  (All of our server stress and optimization muscle went to
handling AI and movement).

--d