[MUD-Dev] Methods to Foster Relationships?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jun 11 12:26:09 CEST 2002

From: Nick Yee [mailto:contact at nickyee.com]

> I come from a psych background, so my question is whether there
> are accepted methods used in the industry to foster these
> relationships in MMORPG's. What are constructs you can build into
> an MMORPG that encourage meaningful relationships to form? What
> has and hasn't worked in the past?

> Ones that come to mind in comparing EQ with DAOC are:

> <list of good techniques to foster relationships & trust>

I'd would add that DAoC's realm based combat does a certain amount
to forge community spirit.

Countering this, when I played the lack of broadcast chat outside of
cities certainly made me feel isolated and unintegrated. Anarchy
Online was similar in this respect too.

I haven't played either for a long time though.

Dan