[MUD-Dev] The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Tue Jun 11 17:23:33 CEST 2002

From: "Talanithus Hotmail" talanithus at hotmail.com>

> But that is just my idea of the Future of MMOGs. What do you think?

I personally think the future in every game genre, but especially
MUDs/ MMOGs will be the development of better AI.  Until there are
convincingly realistic computer opponents, the NPCs will be an
ever-present element of artificiality.  We as humans don't have high
expectations for what trees and rabbits do, so game designers have
no problems making these things convincing.  But we have very high
expectations for how sentient beings behave, and we notice
deviations from our expectations immediately.  When someone produces
an AI player that can talk without using canned phrases, even if the
talk is limited exclusively to the fantasy realm, the game that
hosts such a player will immediately take gaming to the next level.
Of course, implicit in this step is the ability for such a character
to do the much less difficult tasks of fighting and moving
realistically as well.

Dave