[MUD-Dev] Ticks?

shren shren at io.com
Wed Jun 12 06:20:52 CEST 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
> From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
>> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:

>> things in C or C++, you can always stick everything that
>> regenerates on a tick in the same memory block, in two parts -
>> the rate and the current level.  Then the tick thread can live in
>> that memory block and not even look at the whole player.

> This wouldn't work for me even if I was working in c/c++, I don't
> have "levels" exactly.  You could do an attribute check tho, since
> the majority of my regeneration factors are derived from your
> attributes and/or affects.  There's alot of factors (including
> where you are) that go into regeneration on my system.  I do math
> in increments... your main value based on things like your
> attributes which rarely change updates every so many seconds.
> Then your actual regeneration rate is modified by things like
> spell affects and what room you're in (if you're renting a room at
> an inn you get a rate bonus) those modify a "modifier" affect and
> although they rarely change I keep those separate from the other
> modifiers.

*wince*

We've had a total miscommunication.  I don't mean class level, I
mean level like gas gague level.  Store x and delta x in a struct,
then have an array of the structs in one memory block, then add
delta x to x every second.  That's it.  I'm not advocating any
particular mud paradigm, just a different way to store player
variables that change often - in one memory block so one thread can
change them quickly.  You could put anything in there - spawn
counters, hps, mana, spell timers - whatever.