[MUD-Dev] New Beginings II [Not GC]

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed Jun 12 08:12:24 CEST 2002

Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Drylar Levre wrote:

>> As per my thoughts, I'm leaning more towards sticking with C/C++,
>> in that it's what I know. I'll just have to learn differences in
>> each platform's flavor of C/C++. As per librarys, programs,
>> resources, anything to incorporate in that would make my overall
>> product easier to accomplish, I'd love input.

> Purely for the graphics and media aspects, I'd recommend C/C++.
> Java is fairly slow when it comes to graphics, and I'm not sure
> about Python's 3d/media support, especially multiplatform... Obj C
> either.  That said, C/C++ has a ton of multiplatform
> graphics/media solutions.  OpenGL runs on just about every
> platform out there, if you want to do true 3d.  A
> tile-based/isometric solution would be

In Python, you've got PyGame:

   http://www.pygame.org/

   "Pygame is a set of Python modules designed for writing
    games. It is written on top of the excellent SDL library.
    This allows you to create fully featured games and
    multimedia programs in the python language. The package
    is highly portable, with games running on Windows, NT4,
    MacOS, OSX, BeOS, FreeBSD, IRIX, and Linux."

There's also the Nebula Device, a C++ rendering engine with
scripting support for TCL, Python, Lua (and soon Ruby).  It runs on
Linux and Windows with a port to OS X in progress and uses either
OpenGL or DirectX 8:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nebuladevice/
   http://www.radonlabs.de/

And Nebula is under the TCL (MIT-like) license, so it is pretty well
unrestricted in terms of what you can do with it.

I'm sure there are other things out there as well.

  - Bruce