Enforcement [was Re: [MUD-Dev] Striving for originality]

Matt Chatterley matt at eldoops.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 10:27:04 CEST 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Matt Chatterley wrote:

>> Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. By 'disallow' I mean that the
>> game would actually prevent such an action from occuring. Using
>> methods such as this is slightly distasteful to me in some ways,
>> but, if the end result is beneficial, they can be worth using.

> Isn't this just in how you look at it? I'd argue that all a game
> can do is -allow- you to do things. Since the capability to do
> them doesn't exist without the code, you can't disallow the
> ability to do something as the capability doesn't exist until you
> allow it anyway.

Heh. I do disagree, I have to say.

Although for the large part you're right (for instance, try to cast
a fireball on a Mud with no fireball spell. It's probably quite
tricky), not everything is based in code. Nor can it all be stopped
by code, mind-you-me.

Some things (slightly different to those I was originally referring
to, such as abusive language, and so forth) are not explicitly made
possible by the code! They can also be quite hard to prevent (well,
without making the UI so rigid that it drives away the playerbase).

Actually, I agree in part. It's a matter of perception.

So. How many different types of 'bad thing' exist, and how are they
best combatted?

Firstly -- actual abuse of the game server. Creating excess
characters, trying to deliberately break it, spamming. Etc. IMNSHO,
Ban these gits straight away. And if appropriate, lodge a note with
their ISP explaining that they are complete tits who have 'attacked'
your game, and your machine.

With that one out of the way, I only want to mention one more type
;) In-game actions such as PK, PStealing, Kill stealing, etc. I've
seen these dealt with in a number of ways, but the two most common
appear to be admin enforced rules and a player council system.

Admin enforced rules are all well and good, but adding stress and
grief to often overloaded administrators who work on a project in
their (often fleeting) spare time can be bad.. and player councils?
Do they work?

--Matt