[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

Jeff Lindsey Jeff at nextelligence.com
Wed Jun 12 16:00:55 CEST 2002

J C Lawrence posted:

> On reading and contemplating the responses to my "soul meter"
> thread, I've come to wonder if there is a fundimental barrier to
> the RPG element of MMORPG's: Communication No matter how
> streamlined your game's communication system, it still takes a lot
> more effort to carry on a conversation than it does to just say
> "follow me" or "looking for _____" I think if there was some way
> to streamline meaningful info to minimize the effort for the
> player, people would be more willing and able to role play than
> simply go monster bashing.

I think the factors in determining communication content are the
goals of the game, and its depth.

If a game is hack-slash-loot, the vocabulary and player involvement
in communication reflects it: c'mon, help, kill, heal, run, etc. In
a game world where social and exploratory rewards are dominant, or
at least a factor in character advancement, the conversations would
expand due to necessity.

-Jeff