[MUD-Dev] Evolutionary Design

Sasha Hart Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu
Thu Jun 13 04:16:48 CEST 2002

[Dave Rickey]

> It's like trying to wrap your head around a tesseract or a klein
> bottle.

*ponders the geometry*... Ouch!?

> The Sims, and MMOG's, are outside of the traditional game design
> conceptual framework, not just in distance or direction, but in
> *dimension*.

Hyperbole!

Common, easily grasped, conservative thread in both the Sims and
graphical MUDs:

  10 WORK A REPETITIVE TASK (CLICK CHESS BOARD/ELF)
  20 COLLECT PAYCHECK, LEVEL, ETC.
  21 IF RND >  .999 THEN NAUSEOUS_YET = 1
  30 SPEND UPKEEP TO REDUCE CLICKING TOMORROW BY 1%
  40 BLOW PAYCHECK ON VIRTUAL GLOW ART
  50 IF NAUSEOUS_YET = 0 THEN GOTO 10
  60 SUBVERT GAME IN BOREDOM
  62 DAYDREAM ABOUT NEVERWINTER NIGHTS

OK, why am I wrong?

Is the idea that there is a game which has sold wildly which
involves a substantial amount of ordering mannequins to use the
toilet?

I reckon we are dealing with different dimensions here... :) So what
really is so strange about the Sims? Indeed, why not clones?