[MUD-Dev] Ticks?

Anderson Anderson
Thu Jun 13 09:43:05 CEST 2002

From: Draymoor a Vin il'Rogina [mailto:draymoor at cloud9.net]

> Speaking of graphical muds, it seems like interpolated HP updates
> might cause a problem there anyway. Currently in my own mud, I was
> planning on sending updates to the client whenever a player's
> vital stats (HP, Fatigue, etc) changed. If interpolation was used,
> it seems a catch 22 would be created. HP doesn't heal until
> accessed, and it's not accessed until it's changed. You'd never
> heal. Would there be any way to make this work?

Interpolated HP updates are generally regen HP updates, something
that in theory happens constantly.  However, when you are injured
from a sword hitting you, I believe that HP difference happens
immediately.  So you're hit with a sword, and you see the difference
in HP that you lost when the sword hit you, minus the HP that you've
regenned in the few seconds since you were last hit.

And of course, you can always drop in the failsafe, every X seconds,
update the HP no matter what.

Dave