[MUD-Dev] Reinventing the Wheel (was: Object Architecture [Longish])

Philip Loguinov {Draymoor} draymoor at cloud9.net
Thu Jun 13 20:18:21 CEST 2002

Dave B. Held wrote:

> And it seems the only reason we are all working on it
> individually, is so that we have complete control over our
> "vision" of how things ought to be. ;) Maybe we should consider
> not inventing the next wheel three or four times, and maybe just
> do it once.  Or maybe it is the subtle differences that are too
> great to allow collaboration.

Beyond control freakishness, I think there's a major ego component
in this.  I think many of us want to be able to say to ourselves
that we can build a mud from the ground up. At least that's how I
feel.

Also, there's the "learning" aspect of this. Coming at this with
knowledge roughly equal to AP Comp Sci with strait C overtones, the
experiance of actually working on this from the ground up for the
past three months has given me a lot of experiance in actually
designing an OOP project that I didn't have before (Really
emphasized by the inheritence hierarchy redesign I just did). Not to
mention the countless hours of debugging experiance :P If I was
working on this in a group project, I'd never have gotten that.