[MUD-Dev] Object Architecture [Longish]

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Fri Jun 14 12:27:00 CEST 2002

From: David B. Held

> I hope my criticism is helpful, but one thing that bothers me is
> how many of us are working on similar projects.  Correct me if I'm
> wrong, but it seems there are at least a few of us that are
> working on a MUD that is:

>     * written in C++
>     * uses persistence in the form of XML or a DB
>     * roomless system
>     * event queueing
>     * departure from Diku (level-less, class-less, whatever)
>     * greater realism (read: more simulation?)

> And it seems the only reason we are all working on it
> individually, is so that we have complete control over our
> "vision" of how things ought to be. ;) Maybe we should consider
> not inventing the next wheel three or four times, and maybe just
> do it once.  Or maybe it is the subtle differences that are too
> great to allow collaboration.

Yes, this is very strange. No doubt psychologists or game theorists
will pin down this behaviour one day - it might even turn out to be
optimal... :-}

How about people coming up with a standard or common architecture
for bolting all the components together? People can still roll their
own components, but at least there's a chance to mix & match them
all.

Or is this just an excuse for everyone to start working on their own
standard? ;-)