[MUD-Dev] Cg - Lowering the cost of 3D games?

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Fri Jun 14 15:50:32 CEST 2002

On Behalf Of Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

> So whats everyone thing? Personally I'm pretty excited as it
> narrows the gap between the big studios, who can afford time to
> polish their engines, and the smaller ones who without this are
> almost guaranteed to fail on the eye candy front.

Shipping a 3D game has almost nothing to do with the raw technology.
Shaders and all that fancy eye candy is nice, but it really isn't
the hard part.  The hard part is all the grimy crap associated with
resource management, collision, basic rendering, content creation,
content management, etc.

How a specific pixel is drawn is almost completely and utterly
irrelevant in the grand scheme of things when trying to push a title
out the door.

-Hook