[MUD-Dev] Ownership

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 14 19:00:03 CEST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Koster, Raph wrote:

> To bring it back on topic, I think it's important to realize that
> there's no "superiority" of one type or the other, but rather that
> different interfaces to a given experience privilege different
> people based on their skills and talents. A mud played by touch
> alone would surely privilege the blind.

Agreed. It's a personal preference issue.

> Much of the stuff that people say they crave and fail to find in
> the massively multiplayer muds is because of this, I
> think. Frankly, massive graphical games do not privilege
> eloquence, clear communication, or (by extension) roleplaying.

It's not just that, though that is a large part of it. As a result
of those factors, graphical MUDs attract a much higher proportion
(in my limited experience on graphical MUDs) of idiots. Every
community has them, but boy do they seem rampant in places like
Everquest. My other major problem with them is that they're all
focused on just bashing monsters, which in the end, is a pretty darn
shallow gameplay concept.

--matt