[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

David Clifton demosthenes810 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 16 10:35:42 CEST 2002

Perhaps you've never visited LambdaMOO...or one of the Gemstone
setups...however, if I may throw my two cents in, so to speak, I'd
say it comes down to three things in general.

  1) when I go to a game store I find Everquest sitting on the
  shelf...without specifically searching for a text mud, I never see
  it.

  2) At least in the U.S., people are so used to watching TV and
  having it all spoon fed...not to mention, current 'RPG game
  society' is being raised on Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment,
  Morrowwind, etc...jumping to a graphical MUD feels natural.

  3) The people who are fueling Barnes and Noble and the like don't
  seem to take well to 'silly games' from my experience...poor saps
  :)

David Clifton