[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sun Jun 16 19:21:23 CEST 2002

Lars Duening writes:
> Damion Schubert wrote on Friday, June 14 2002, 17:29:13:
>> From Brian Hook

>>> Okay, I just gotta chime in here.

>>>   Voice sucks for group communication.

>>> Naturally shy individuals that wouldn't necessarily talk much
>>> find their voice better with text.

> Same for non-native speakers. A lot of good readers/writers of the
> English language have little or no practice speaking/hearing it.

So what I see is a great opportunity for everyone to both overcome
their shyness and to be able to practice their english.  And if I
want to play in Korea, I can work on my Korean.  Sounds promising to
me.

Criminy people.  If I can't type quickly, I can't communicate in
these games.  If I can't spell, I'm toast.  If I can't come up with
clear ways of writing what's on my mind, I never get a full
statement out.  If I can't read quickly (or if too many people are
saying something at the same time), I get (and possibly everyone
gets) left behind.  There are myriad reasons why text sucks for
group communication.  Sure, it's different.  Sure, it changes the
status quo and requires rebalancing of social behavior that
originally focused on text.  In the end, I'm confident that more
good will come of the use of voice than the modest features that the
use of text gives us today.

JB