[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 16 23:59:09 CEST 2002

On Saturday 08 June 2002 12:49, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
>> From: "Matt Chatterley" <matt at eldoops.co.uk>

[Having just returned from a vacation, I'm hitting a bunch of posts...]

>>> To my mind, the place of the battlefield mage is at the back,
>>> behind the others -- the same as we might use artillery support
>>> in a more modern battle.

>> I agree, a spell-caster shouldn't be out where he/she can take
>> damage.

> I marvel at statements like this. Why not? Achaea's mages can go
> toe to toe with a knight.

I have to agree with Matt M here.  The "standard fantasy mage" isn't
an effective close combat warrior, but there are other models to
work from.  In particular, the "mystic warrior" is a popular
real-world archetype, showing up in Oriental martial arts, Norse
legends (several Viking warriors are also masters of runic magic in
legend), and plenty of New Age stuff.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>