[MUD-Dev] Continuity of experience in movies

eric ericleaf at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 18 18:22:31 CEST 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> I was just watching David Lynch's "The Straight Story" on DVD and
> noticed there were no chapter stops in it. I hadn't noticed when

That's just David Lynch calling you an idiot, incapable of piecing
together the parts and forming a composite picture of what the movie
was all about.  That, coupled with a hefty dose of ego. (ie play by
my rules or I take the ball home.) Or it could just be a thinly
veiled cover to hide the fact that he ran out of budget to properly
produce the dvd content. I'd chalk that up with paint splatter art,
is it art? Sure, is it relevant? Nope.

This is relevant to game development in many ways however, the
immaturity of the participants and their ego, and controlling
desires. Most games are linear because the designers are control
freaks.