[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

John Robert Arras johna at wam.umd.edu
Wed Jun 19 03:24:58 CEST 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, shren <shren at io.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, John Robert Arras wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 13 2002  "Talanithus HTML" <talanithus at mindspring.com> wrote
>>> Actually, NWN has a "Vault" for characters to do exactly that.

>> I feel better about that now, too. There are at least some checks
>> on cheating between modules. I assume there's more too it, though
>> or people could just make 100 cheater worlds and buff
>> themselves. I still have fears of another Diablo, but I don't
>> know what will happen with NWN yet.

> Last I heard, the concept of a central vault is gone.  Each server
> can have it's own vault which stores characters.

Ahh. I haven't been keeping up with it. I'm guessing that the owner
of a server can examine any characters that people want to bring in
to make sure that they're not cheater.

> Some user created worlds may be combat oriented, but the engine's
> behavior is to make one combat round 6 seconds of realtime - a bit
> slow to be diabloesque.

> What's wrong with the diablo series?  Not everybody's bag, but fun
> in it's own way.

I'm not complaining about the gameplay in Diablo. I love Roguelike
games. I played Angband for years and always thought: "Hey, wouldn't
it be great if someone made this game, but with better graphics?"

Then *ding* there's Diablo. The problem is that players would cheat
when they brought their characters from their home game to a
centralized multiplayer games. That's why if there's any power
metric in a MUD, I figure people will cheat if they get access to
building tools or if they can store characters on their own computer
at any point.

I hope that NWN will succeed, and I wonder how much it will
cannibalize the hobbyist text market. The big graphical games have
been filling a different niche up to this point, but NWN lets people
make their own small MUD. OTOH, perhaps it will get people used to
having their own game, and bring them to text games.

John