[MUD-Dev] Tech: Job: Shamesss Pug: P2P Graphical Mud, thinking out loud

Yoshito Rei Yoshi at anarchyandanime.com
Wed Jun 19 11:00:29 CEST 2002

I know this must have been said a million times, but I am wondering
if any graphical MUD(s) are in development.  If not I have an idea
from a graphical Peer to Peer MUD.  Now yes I know that this has
been brought up before, but what I am purposing solves many of
problems of the p2p mud, while allowing for a very large user base.

<Tech Rant>

The Client Interconnect is the basis of the peer to peer client the
controls the mud.  The mud is split into "rooms" similar to most
text based MUDs, like those based on Merc, ROM, and Ember.  Each
room has a "Master Client" which is determined based on client
network speed, processing power and other factors.  These "master
clients" are in charge of controlling all NPCs, mobs, and client
room to room hand offs.  Each "Master Client" connects with every
client that is within 2 rooms of them, up to 50-300 clients,
starting with the room they are in, then to the door they are
closest to, then in descending order of closeness.  When a player
changes rooms the "Master Client" hands the client changing rooms
off to the "Master Client" in the next room.  The client changing
rooms then acquaints itself with all the clients in that room.  When
a new "Master Client" needs to be chosen due to disconnect or
entrance into a room without any players, the new "Master Client"
first gets the IPs of every player in the surrounding rooms from the
surrounding "Master Clients", then tells all the clients in the
surrounding rooms it is the new "Master Client" in that room.  In a
room with many clients, a Primary, and Secondary "Master Clients"
can be determined.

The MUD itself will be a 2.5D graphical MUD, and NO 3D graphics.
Yes, I mean it, I am anti-3D.  There are 3 reasons for this.

  (1) 2D is easer to work with, and allows for more clients to enjoy
  the mud.

  (2) A 2D mud will allow the clients to make there own areas,
  inserted by an area insertion algorithm.

  (3) 2D games made 3D "just because" look UGLY! (ie: Warcraft 3)

The areas will be on every client in there entirety, and areas will
be added by a central server, and manually at first, and later on by
a computerized process later on so the MUD can become a living
entity, living and breathing buy the will of it's users.

</Tech Rant>

Sorry bout that, I get a bit carried away some time.

So, what you think?

Let me know,

 <mailto:Yoshi at anarchyandanime.com> -Yoshito Rei
 <http://www.anarchyandanime.com/> Anarchy & Anime

Reviews, Rants, Forums, Free Hosting And So Much More...