[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Department (Mule Characters)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Jun 20 07:55:40 CEST 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Valerio Santinelli:

>> The pack-mule solution has not been judged that great by players
>> of Dungeon Siege. The mule is actually a real dumb character (as
>> it should be) and whatever you drop on the mule is usually not
>> worth to bring around. Probably the real problem isn't the mule
>> itself but

> Dungeon Siege suffers a lot from dumbass AI. You have to tweak the
> settings a lot to get a semi-smart party (in single-player mode)
> that doesn't get in positions and situation where you hit pause
> every half a second.

While the AI might be stupid, the pathfinding is rather good.  I was
on the roof of a tower, with a long spiral staircase leading to the
ground.  I tipped the camera angle above the tower and clicked on
the ground.  My party ran through the door on the roof, down the
spiral staircase, and out the front door of the tower, after about a
quarter second of pathfinding calculation.

I've intentionally tested the pathfinding and I'm generally pleased
with what it can do.  It'd almost be worth it to download the world
design toolset and see if the pathfinding AI can solve small mazes.

--
The client needs a tool built. He sends you a description of a nail...
</a>