[MUD-Dev] Continuity of experience in movies

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Thu Jun 20 12:23:32 CEST 2002

From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, eric wrote:
>> From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>>> I was just watching David Lynch's "The Straight Story" on DVD
>>> and noticed there were no chapter stops in it. I hadn't noticed
>>> when

>> That's just David Lynch calling you an idiot, incapable of
>> piecing together the parts and forming a composite picture of
>> what the movie was all about.  That, coupled with a hefty dose of
>> ego. (ie play by my rules or I take the ball home.) Or it could
>> just be a thinly veiled cover to hide the fact that he ran out of
>> budget to properly produce the dvd content. I'd chalk that up
>> with paint splatter art, is it art? Sure, is it relevant? Nope.

>> This is relevant to game development in many ways however, the
>> immaturity of the participants and their ego, and controlling
>> desires. Most games are linear because the designers are control
>> freaks.

> For really flexible plot, check out The Way of the Samurai for the
> PS2.  6 different endings to the same story, it's totally
> non-linear in play.  Different events happen at different times,
> and no matter which you go to or how you react to them, the game
> continues forward.  You only get herded at the end, to set things
> up for one of the 6 endings.

I also consider Ultima 6 one of the best non-linear games. I've
spent months wandering around the world doing different things. And
Ultima has been my preferred serie since then. I've yet to see a
game where you can go around the world without restrictions and
without having to be bound at all times to a single plot.

--
Valerio Santinelli
HateSeed.com Founder (http://www.hateseed.com)