Réf. : Re: [MUD-Dev] Building a \\\'Deeper\\\' M MOG

Yannick.Jean at csst.qc.ca Yannick.Jean at csst.qc.ca
Thu Jun 20 15:16:01 CEST 2002

>From : "Brian Lindahl"

> When players who signed onto the MMOG for achievement begin to
> play as their character and incorporate true 'role' playing, then
> you know that you have built a deeper MMOG. The MMOG encourages
> players to become involved in the theme and become absorbed in the
> fantasy world.

Why ?

Why does so many developper consider "Role playing" a better/deeper
style of play than "Achievement"? Hey, I really do love to roleplay
but achieving something is very much what becoming a hero is all
about. Maybe achievement has been badly implemented in MMORPG so far
(as in often mindless and repetitive), but this is no reasons to say
that kind of play is any "shallower" than any others.

Yannick Jean