[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what\'s next?

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Fri Jun 28 09:23:43 CEST 2002

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

> Rewind back to early 1998:

>   I wanted to release a suite of tools for UO. Specifically,
>   release a standalone Windows server (unencumbered by all the
>   multiserver cluster stuff--we had one for internal development),
>   the script language documentation, a few standard templates, the
>   3d map tool, the 2d map tool, and probably bundle in
>   InsideUO. In fact, our palette editor was actually written by a
>   player who reverse engineered the data structure, and came up
>   with a better tool than what we had in-house.

And we would not have had to build an UO server emulator in order to
bring up our own worlds. That would have been a hit on the UO
community. I wonder why the execs at Origin/EA didn't want to go for
it.  Anyway in my opinion UO has been used and re-used in every
fashion possible.  We made emulators, added a scripting language,
made tools to modify your verdata and let shards administrators make
their own worlds with their own graphics , contents, rules, races,
NPCs.  I can't think of any other massive online game that has been
modded so heavily. The onli thing missing is clustering in the
server, but nobody actually needs it.

--
Valerio Santinelli
One Man Crew Gaming Community (http://www.onemancrew.org)