[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

David Bennett ddt at discworld.atuin.net
Fri Jun 28 11:07:17 CEST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
> From: "Anderson, David" <david.anderson at tfp.com>

>> The question I would have, is why do so many seem to hit a limit?

>> Any other ideas why text muds seem to stop growing at some point?
>> The servers aren't slowing down, it's not like the box can't
>> handle another few hundred people.

> Alot of mudders I know of prefer a small playerbase.  I personally
> prefer a mid-size base of around 50-60 simul players.

Discworld has stopped at 200 for a couple of reasons, the biggest
one being bandwidth limits.  We are using DSL but 200 is the most
players it will handle unless we upgrade the link or put it
somewhere with onsite hosting.  Both of these options are expensive
and since the mud is free...  Not really viable.

Wombles!
David.