[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 28 13:46:05 CEST 2002

Thursday, June 27, 2002, 7:56:21 AM, shren wrote:

[snipped rummaging about the impracticality of enforcing a "character
vault" mechanism]

> That, or let players play whatever they like, which is an
> interesting concept I wonder if anyone's tried yet.

It's been done plenty of times in paper RPGs, although "GM approval"
is usually required.

Since NWN isn't out for Linux yet, I haven't picked it up and tried
it, so I'm not sure how the "run a server as a GM" stuff works.
Does the GM have authority over who can and can't play on his/her
server?  If the GM does, what information does he/she have access to
in order to make that decision?

Personally, I see NWN's server mode as a semi-automated way to run a
regular D&D game -- like WebRPG or OpenRPG, but in 3-D and with a
lot more automation.  Coming from a paper D&D perspective, it
doesn't matter to me whether someone got their character "legally"
-- all that matters is whether or not that character is appropriate
to the adventure being run, and whether the player is a decent
player (by which I mean someone who's going to be fun to play with,
not necessarily someone who's "better" at playing the game).

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net