[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 28 15:10:07 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]
>>> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Vincent Archer wrote:

> Obvious loophole : I have a server that spits out every five
> minutes "character foo killed x.  gimme loot and xp."  The
> monsters are spawning in a cage.  Foo is macroed to shoot the
> monster in the cage.  Foo's player is off watching
> _Minority_Report_.  Or, better yet, build a deviant server that
> actually has no monsters or terrain, but reports killing and
> looting for you.

> If anybody comes up with a workable solution that lets you host
> code you can trust on a player's machine, then you've discovered
> something new.  Untill then, the only solution for this kind of
> problem is to host everything on your company's own computer.

> That, or let players play whatever they like, which is an
> interesting concept I wonder if anyone's tried yet.

Well thats why I said have sanity checks and throttling. I don't
think the problem can be prevented, but it can certainly be slowed
and made less destructive. As far as I know NWN can have filtering
of players on servers anyway, so you can check if peoples equip is
viable for your module before letting them on.

One good filter would be just how much xp they've made in how long
and also cross reference with the server they did it on. Sure they
can power up whilst watching tv if they create the right dungeon,
but who cares if I can measure that and stop them playing with me or
affecting my game?

Dan