[MUD-Dev] Majestic and Failure of Episodic Games

Talies the Wanderer snicker at pinkpig.com
Sat Mar 2 11:27:36 CET 2002

Just as another nail in the coffin for Majestic - they were months
behind a free game released as part of an advertising campaign for
the movie A.I., that included many of the elements Majestic had
advertised about (game-related computer-generated phone calls being
one of them) - as well as some Majestic couldn't even hope to
achieve (live action sequences where the players literally became
part of the game).  The Cloudmakers (a mailing list / community
dedicated to the game) ended with over 20,000 members - which is not
bad for a free community.  The puppetmasters of the A.I. game made
some mistakes (registering most of the URLs from the same address /
company, allowing too much source-code diving), but they even
learned from their mistakes (making source-code diving part of the
game!)

Though not highly "advertised", "Who Killed Evan Chan" created some
of the most intense build-up for a movie I have ever personally been
party to, and I don't normally get that involved.  Does anyone know
if there was ever a "postmortem" done on this game?  I'd be very
interested in hearing from the muppet pasters on their efforts.

Talies