[MUD-Dev] Re: DaoC postmortem at Gamasutra

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Mar 6 09:14:34 CET 2002

Azeraab wrote:

> I'd say the biggest thing Mythic did for creating a buzz in the
> community and even lending credibility to the game was hiring
> Lum. To have leading MMORPG news/rant site shut down because
> Mythic hired it's

> principal is something that really made people take note.

I've always enjoyed the conspiracy theories about my hiring, but to
be honest, LtM while having a following in the MMO industry was
never terribly widely read outside of it, compared to the
"mainstream" gaming sites such as Blues, Shacknews, etc.

While Mythic at the time was searching for new and creative guerilla
marketing techniques, I still labor under the delusion that my
duties here involve more than just sitting in a corner, being the
infamous Lum, and collecting phat l3wt.

Anarion wrote:

> after E3 in either 2000 or 2001 he wrote an article where said he
> was unimpressed by DAoC's showing and won over by Shadowbane's.

Never happened. DAoC wasn't showing in 2000. My take on DAoC in 2001
is here: http://www.brokentoys.org/iron/daoc-e3.php (I archived it
because the irony factor amused me.) I've always been impressed by
Shadowbane, if for nothing else than that I am squarely in the
game's target market (obsessive online fans who like to kill other
obsessive online fans).

FWIW, The incident re: one of our employees calling Shadowbane fans
"a bunch of fanbois" on a message board (I suspect it was actually
more pejorative - and the employee in question apologized profusely
for the slur) happened after my hiring.

--
Scott Jennings
Code Monkey, Mythic Entertainment