[MUD-Dev] Re: DaoC postmortem at Gamasutra

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Thu Mar 7 10:08:06 CET 2002

According to Scott Jennings:

>> I'd say the biggest thing Mythic did for creating a buzz in the
>> community and even lending credibility to the game was hiring
>> Lum. To have leading MMORPG news/rant site shut down because

> I've always enjoyed the conspiracy theories about my hiring, but
> to be honest, LtM while having a following in the MMO industry was
> never terribly widely read outside of it, compared to the
> "mainstream" gaming sites such as Blues, Shacknews, etc.

Which is sad, because it was a good raid.... errm read on the
industry.  But it was also very narrowly focused, and the culture
that developped around it, notably on the floating web forums was a
little off-putting for the mainstream gamer. It is too bad that,
once you and Myschyf and the rest of the old timers left, it went
downhill until it was no longer viable.

I still regret it very much.

I think it was on this list that someone remarked that, due to the
sheer rantiness of Lum the Mad, you were unemployable in the
industry.  Until, of course, Mythic proved us wrong :)

> While Mythic at the time was searching for new and creative
> guerilla marketing techniques, I still labor under the delusion
> that my duties here involve more than just sitting in a corner,
> being the infamous Lum, and collecting phat l3wt.

And the Camelot Herald is on its way to prove off to people that you
can have a quality web site that provides a direct view of the state
of the game itself without having to pay $39/month for a premium
service.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)