[MUD-Dev] Re: DaoC postmortem at Gamasutra

Steve {Bloo} Daniels bloo at playnet.com
Tue Mar 12 10:18:55 CET 2002

Vincent Archer wrote:

> I still regret it very much.

What I regret is being a 'victim' of a couple of the rants and
wanting to agree with every word.

> I think it was on this list that someone remarked that, due to the
> sheer rantiness of Lum the Mad, you were unemployable in the
> industry.  Until, of course, Mythic proved us wrong :)

There are other examples of 'commentors' getting hired by a game
company.  I can only think that Azeraphel's columns on Crossroads of
Dereth about Asheron's Call helped him become a producer at Turbine.

About 1/3rd of the staff at my company are former customers of the
founder, which is basically the entire production (non-programmer)
staff.

Good rants show good thinking and that's a rare commodity in fugue
of Nerf and Buff cries.  Which reminds me, BruceR wrote several
reviews/critiques/rants about our game (WWII Online).  Looked at
objectively, his comments were very accurate and well reasoned.
When it was clear that he wanted the game to be better than it was
and wasn't just pointing and laughing, I made it a point to get him
into our closed beta.

>> While Mythic at the time was searching for new and creative
>> guerilla marketing techniques, I still labor under the delusion
>> that my duties here involve more than just sitting in a corner,
>> being the infamous Lum, and collecting phat l3wt.

It is impossible to ignore the significant presence of Mythic
advertising in comic books.  I collect a lot of titles and nearly
all the mainstream titles have full-pages DAoC ads.  Good call.
That's hitting the target demo right between the eyes.  Especially
since 3 comics = 1 monthly subscription.

> And the Camelot Herald is on its way to prove off to people that
> you can have a quality web site that provides a direct view of the
> state of the game itself without having to pay $39/month for a
> premium service.

I love the herald.  I'm trying to get our web guys to copy its main
principles unashamedly.  Once I get the antidote for NIH syndrome
(Not Invented Here), maybe it will happen.

-bloo