[MUD-Dev] EQ RPG

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Thu Mar 14 08:50:50 CET 2002

--On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:02 AM +0000
Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> From the http://www.eqrpg.com/ :

> 8<---------------------------------------

>   EverQuest reigns supreme as the world's #1 MMORPG (Massively
>   Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game), but now the setting and
>   characters of EverQuest are yours to control. Sword & Sorcery
>   Studios' officially licensed EverQuest Roleplaying Game allows
>   the entire world of Norrath to come to life in your hands. You
>   no longer simply play a character you become him!

First Reaction: *forehead slap*

Second Reaction: This almost conclusively proves to me that they
don't play their own game, or know anyone who does so avidly.

> Definitely an interesting move, I wonder how much of the rule set
> from the online version they will migrate. I also wonder whether
> people will want to play it when there are richer D&D campaign
> settings, and if you like EQ that much, won't you be playing the
> online version? Still, it will be interesting to see how this
> plays out.

I bet it'll be a d20 thing because it's simply easier than making up
a system which would be D&D derivative anyway.

And now I have to appologize because I read both the posting and the
article and now imagine making a pilgrimage to Verant and meeting
Chris Tice (as an example)..

  Me: But, Chris, what is this place? What is that you do here?

  Chris: Merchandising.

  Me: Merchandising? What's that?

  Chris: Merchandising. Come. I'll show. Open up this door.  Ha, ha,
  ha, come. Walk this way. Take a look. We put the game's name on
  everything. Merchandising....merchandising. Where the real money
  from EverQuest is made. EverQuest the T-shirt! EverQuest the
  Coloring Book! EverQuest the Lunch box! EverQuest the Breakfast
  Cereal! EverQuest the Flame Thrower! (turns it on)

  Me: Ooooooo.

  Chris: The kids love this one. Last, but not least, EverQuest the
  Doll. (hold up a doll of the woman on the box art) See? (pulls on
  the string)

  EVERQUEST DOLL: I need SOW for a corpse run!

  Chris: Adorable.

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333

*Note: EverQuest, Verant, and Chris Tice are all owned by SONY
Interactive. And I claim no responsibility when "EverQuest - The
Flame Thrower" shows up on toy store shelves this Christmas.