[MUD-Dev] EQ RPG

Freeman Freeman
Thu Mar 14 12:00:04 CET 2002

From: Marc Bowden

>> From the http://www.eqrpg.com/ :

>>   EverQuest reigns supreme as the world's #1 MMORPG (Massively
>>   Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game), but now the setting and
>>   characters of EverQuest are yours to control. Sword & Sorcery
>>   Studios' officially licensed EverQuest Roleplaying Game allows
>>   the entire world of Norrath to come to life in your hands. You
>>   no longer simply play a character you become him!

> First Reaction: *forehead slap*

> Second Reaction: This almost conclusively proves to me that they
> don't play their own game, or know anyone who does so avidly.

How so?

The above looks like fairly standard and not-at-all-misleading "Now
EQ is going to be a tabletop RPG as well as an online game."-type
marketting stuff.

What's your problem with the above?

  (I'm not to sure that someone at White Wolf didn't write that
  anyway, incidentally, so maybe whatever this is supposed to prove
  about EQ developers maybe needs to be rethunk, eh?).

> I bet it'll be a d20 thing because it's simply easier than making
> up a system which would be D&D derivative anyway.

It's using the OGL, but not the d20 license, since that would
preclude shipping any form of character creation.

And I don't think we can dismiss the possibility that the folks at
White Wolf might possibly know how to make a game, even using the
OGL, and even using the EQ setting, races, classes, spells, and so
on.  It's not as if Dungeons & Dragons doesn't have it's own set of
problems, which could be addressed even without changing the core
mechanics.

>   Chris: Merchandising. Come. I'll show. Open up this door.  Ha,
>   ha, ha, come. Walk this way. Take a look. We put the game's name
>   on everything. Merchandising....merchandising. Where the real
>   money from EverQuest is made. EverQuest the T-shirt! EverQuest
>   the Coloring Book! EverQuest the Lunch box! EverQuest the
>   Breakfast Cereal! EverQuest the Flame Thrower! (turns it on)

Welcome to the world.

I wonder, were you this hostile toward the notion of a "D&D Online"?
Why be upset about it going the other way?

Or is it just the merchandising angle that's making you mad?  Maybe
I'm just desensitized to that sort of thing, working with the Star
Wars lisence and all (EQ doesn't have anything like Darth Maul
shampoo, or the bazillions of other things along those lines).

Anyway, seems like a no-brainer to me.  There ought to be an EQ
collectible card game as well, IMO.  Trade you three Fippy Darkpaws
for a Holly Windstalker.

> *Note: EverQuest, Verant, and Chris Tice are all owned by SONY
> Interactive.

We like to call it "Sony Online Entertainment" these days.