[MUD-Dev] Time Theory

Mats Lidstrom mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac
Fri Mar 15 20:19:17 CET 2002

From: "Anderson, David" <david.anderson at tfp.com>
>From: Mats Lidstrom [mailto:mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac]
>> From: "David C.Z. Wacks" <david at dreamzion.com>

>>> I am toying with the idea of keeping ticks for events
>>> (healing/combat/etc) but using real time to synch mud time. so 1
>>> day=1 day

>> The downside of that is that since most people got a couple of
>> hours a day to play they will always experience the same stretch
>> of time in your MUD. If your MUD is on the other side of the
>> globe from me and I log in when I'm home from work I always see
>> the nighttime/early morning in there.

>> Great if I'm a vampire, but not so great if I try to keep away
>> from them.

>  3. 24 hours =3D a real life day.  Basically what you're saying,
>  so you can say January the 15th at 5pm, and it will match up
>  exactly with the real life date/time.

Since I'm a believer in keeping it simple this is the method I'd
use. Just add or subtract your tz difference and you're set for your
meeting. Then just run the day/night changes 4 times a day and call
them quarters so you could actually just say "December 24:th, third
quarter" to pinpoint an event.

/Mats