[Meta] Re: [MUD-Dev] EQ RPG

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Wed Mar 20 10:44:42 CET 2002

szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

> No...because the people who play good are of "that mentality"
> while the more experienced players choose to keep their options
> open and focus on the mechanics of the game instead of ideals.
> Ideals do not win battles, no matter how organised the army.

For fear of getting dangerously close to having a real point that
should be on MUD-Dev proper, I disagree.  This isn't always the
case.

DAoC is an interesting case for this.  For those unaware, there are
3 realms: Midgard (based on Norse history and mythology), Hibernia
(Celtic), and Albion (Arthurian).  Each realm fights against other
realms in Realm vs Realm (RvR) combat for dominance.

In the beginning, Midgard leapt out as the early favorite in RvR.
The explanation I heard was that most of the power players that like
evil and shun all things elven went for Midgard.  I mean, how can
you go wrong with a group that includes Trolls and Kobolds and likes
to rape and plunder?

Midgard was pretty potent in the beginning.  Most of these power
players reached higher levels quickly and went into the RvR areas
and cleaned up.  They were driving their enemies before them if they
even bothered to show up.

In recent times, however, things are a bit different.  Albion seems
to be the top of the heap now, at least from what I've seen on the
server I occasionally play on and can gather from reading various
sites.  This is the realm of sickening do-gooders and high ideals.
Not as bad as those elves, mind you....

You can blame this on many things, probably.  Nerfs, short
attentions spans, exodus of people going back to their previous
characters on another game, etc.  From personal experience, I think
one of the biggest problems is selfishness.  Evil is just sometimes
too selfish to really work together.

For example, I went on an RvR raid with a pickup group of people.  I
asked the healer for some common melee-enhancing buffs, and she
replied that she didn't have any concentration left.  When I looked
at the party tab, I noticed that she had cast every single combat
buff on herself, and had concentrated a few buffs on a couple other
fighters.  In RvR, a Healer should almost NEVER get into combat, so
those combat buffs were doing her no good.  In the end, the group
was an complete failure and we all went our own way.

Just some grist for the mill.

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
       Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
     |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-' http://meridian59.neardeathstudios.com/
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)    Welcome back to your favorite online game.